Blogging 101 - What to write about?
Louis CK once said that his jokes were lame initially (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37zkizucPU). And initially means for the first 15 years of his career. He then became great by watching George Carlin talk about bold topics. He eased into it by first telling jokes about what noticed in the world (observational comedy), and then he talked about what’s shitty in the world, and then he talked about what’s shitty in his own life, and then about his feelings, then his fears, then his nightmares and then he went very deep (and eventually found things to say about his balls).
If you like to write, but are afraid that you don’t know what to write about, it only means that you lack the courage to write what’s deep down in your heart. So ease into the process. It takes time to write courageously. It takes time to expose your vulnerability.
So start with writing not about your life right away. Maybe
- Reviews - books, movies, songs
- Thoughts on X - where X can be absolutely anything. Just put on the alien-observing-the-earth-for-the-first-time hat and notice all mundane things. I’ve written long essays about nose-picking and longer ones about incidents that didn’t happen.
- Career tips to someone in your field - This can be satisfying to write if you are really digging the work you do and are succeeding doing it. Not fun otherwise.
Oh, before going to the list, you should first write unhinged. Don’t fear publishing it. Pour your heart out. See what comes out. And when it’s done, if you deem it publish-unworthy, don’t publish it. Keep it in your journal. It was still useful.
So here we go again, in no particular order:
- Childhood trauma. Visakanv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37zkizucPU once said “the meaning and point of life is to be happy, but before that resolve your childhood fuckups”. There’s an entire post I can write about this.
- Productivity tips
- Troubleshooting the Self. Identify the bug in your self, and systematically eliminate them. Try out one strategy after the other until you completely annihilate the bad habit.
- Like this list, blog just lists. Lists of favorite quotes, best memories etc.
Now this post is getting bland.
Just blog. Safely at first, and then dangerously.